We get told a lot of dental tips from everywhere we look. There are some on advertisements, on the radio, and on the packaging of toothbrushes or toothpaste but what are the best dental tips that you should follow to keep healthy and white teeth?
How to Maintain Healthy & White Teeth
1. Brush your teeth properly. The best way to brush is to hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle and near your gum line. The bristles should be in contact with both your gum line and your teeth at the same time. You should be brushing in both and up and down as well as side to side movement. When you are brushing, make sure to get all sides of your teeth – top, bottom, and both sides. Don’t forget to brush the roof of your mouth and your tongue.
2. Floss regularly. This is very important to maintain your oral health because brushing can clean the surface while flossing cleans in between the spaces of the teeth. Flossing will help get out anything that is stuck that can cause your teeth to decay and give you cavities. You should get into the habit of flossing every day.
3. Work on a healthy diet. Believe it or not, your diet does affect the health of your teeth. You should be making sure that your diet is teeth friendly, most people just eat foods because they’re tasty and don’t consider what they do to your teeth. Foods like nuts, fruits, cheese, chicken, and vegetables are all teeth-friendly and can even help the strength of your teeth.
4. Limit sodas and alcohol intake. Tobacco is one of the worst things for your teeth and overall oral health. Avoiding that can save you from a lot of periodontal diseases and oral cancer. Most sodas & alcohol contain phosphorus which reduces the level of calcium in your body which can cause not only gum disease and tooth decay.
5. Visit your dentist regularly. Even if you are doing everything you should be doing to keep your teeth healthy at home, it’s still important to see your dentist. A dentist visit can help check for things that you may not notice until they’re a big issue. Early detection of dental problems can not only save your wallet but it can even save your life.
If you want more tips on how to keep your teeth and mouth healthy, next time you visit us ask! To schedule an appointment you can give us a call at 617-268-5638 and we can’t wait to see you!